New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 03-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #226
maryjos
Addicted to this place

Photos: 189  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas7274 View Post
Sorry Maryjo, I guess I should rephrase that. I was willing to pay a rehousing fee, but when someone is asking $300. to rehouse a mutt, or a non-registered animal, It makes me think they are in it for the money.
Well, if the dog is already neutered or spayed, in my area that $300 could cover that by itself (yes, this really is what vets around here charge)! Again, rehoming charges usually cover things like this, shots, food, etc. but you have to of course also trust your own judgment if you think someone is taking advantage of you. I've certainly run into more than my fair share of unscrupulous breeders as well, there's plenty out there that just want to make money. But I don't think such a fee is unreasonable to ask by any means for a good adoptable dog, regardless of pedigree. People do seem to put a greater emphasis on whether a dog has papers or not in terms of its value, but owning pets is not cheap and in some cases, a charge to adopt a new pet is partly to make sure people can truly afford to own a pet and all the expenses involved, as well as to help be able to put that money back towards helping other dogs. A good purebred sheltie puppy these days runs $800-1000 and the price is fairly similar for an older one that a breeder might place that didn't work out for show, so $300 sounds like about right to me for a non-pedigreed dog.

Taz, Dearly loved by Mary Jo, 4/28/95-5/25/08

Tribute Page
maryjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #227
Naala
The place to be

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Well I was lucky to get my Nala for 150 Euros (200UDS) but now the prices are so high, they charge 300 Euros for puppy lab without papers. Crazy people. Thats just stealing. And ofcourse they say that its:Home breeding, meaning its as close as pure breeded as can get but without papers. No prob if the parents are not allowed to have pups, they turn it like its a good thing. And stupid people dont get any info before buying a pet and then they feel cheated.
Well, talking about prices, I once fell in love with a lab from England, but it costed 2500 Euros (!!). Stupid me couldnt forget about that doggy and I stil remember him sometimes. His name was Black Adder, how cute is that. And he was from the best family, all champions and so. But thanks god my Nala just got pregnant or I would buy that pup and be broke for the rest of my life, lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #228
maryjos
Addicted to this place

Photos: 189  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naala View Post
Well I was lucky to get my Nala for 150 Euros (200UDS) but now the prices are so high, they charge 300 Euros for puppy lab without papers. Crazy people. Thats just stealing. And ofcourse they say that its:Home breeding, meaning its as close as pure breeded as can get but without papers.
And therein lies a lot of the misconception, that any purebred dog is somehow more valuable than one that is not. If people that know little about the breed, genetics, cross-faulting, etc. just take two pets of the same breed and put them together to get some puppies, it can result in many health issues, and far more problems than most mixed dogs will have (hybrid vigor is the scientific name for this). And then you also you have folks that think any dog bred from a champion must be worth tons of money, when a lot of the show dogs have little personality and some breeds rampant with health issues, the dogs poorly socialized as there are too many being bred, etc. I spend a lot of time researching the breeders I buy dogs from, as I want to know if I pay $1000 for a puppy, that there's a reason for that cost...that they are really working hard to produce dogs that are sound, healthy, free from all the various hereditary problems in the breed, good temperament, properly socialized, etc. And I typically buy from the smaller breeders who keep small numbers of dogs that are still pets and part of the family, versus just kennel-raised.

Taz, Dearly loved by Mary Jo, 4/28/95-5/25/08

Tribute Page
maryjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #229
Naala
The place to be

I know Maryjos, thats why Im so angry at those who brees paper dogs that didnt get papers to have pups, That means they have some serious issues, something must be wrong with them. I know labs and retrievers in general have that hip thing, I heard some stories when it was so serious, imagine getting a dog for the family that likes mountains and your dog developes that hip disease and cant walk uphill. Your whole mountain life is over! And you originally bought dog to go to mountains together...
I was so worried that Nala might have something, especially after those ear problems when I realized that I didnt know anything about her parents, since the seller probably lied to me. But she is as healthy as can be except of chronical ear thing.
But its also true that I didnt know half the things I know now. The next dog I will get (whenever) I will make sure to check everything you are talking about. And I agree about buying from a small breeder, they put a lot more interest into every pup, after all tht first couple of months are the most important ones and worth taking advantage of to teach them some basic socialization stuff. People really have to work a lot with the puppies before selling them but not everyone does.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #230
usports2
Addicted to this place

Photos: 134  Users Photo Gallery
http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com...ad.php?t=30315

Anyone interesed in this thread?

Donna
Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #231
Fade2Pink
Digital Elite Alumni

Photos: 781  Users Photo Gallery
I like the idea Donna, I loved CC from everyone. I have posted on your layout.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #232
Naala
The place to be

Yeah, me too.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #233
rizzosw
This place rocks

Photos: 44  Users Photo Gallery
Oh, a checking we will be all day Saturday. Please post here if you see the DET results posted, so we get an email when the results are out.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #234
TiniTott
Addicted to this place

Photos: 170  Users Photo Gallery
Hmm... wait a minute here... have I come to the doggy thread? LOL

Have to read up on this =) But right now I´m exhausted, been working on a LO all night and now (at 3 am) its finally uploaded. Covered three challenges with this
Does that mean I´m learning?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #235
TiniTott
Addicted to this place

I´m here, I´m here!!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #236
Naala
The place to be

Hey Tina, where are you?
Could someone explain to me how is the chat tomorrow?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #237
Naala
The place to be

Oh (make a very ugly word here) am I STUPID?
I thought chat is today!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #238
TiniTott
Addicted to this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiniTott View Post
I´m here, I´m here!!
I´m already here

Well, in the calender it says friday 9 pm... and now its 9.30pm DSPtime Thursday...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #239
Naala
The place to be

Yeah, I got it reading you anserw in other thread. I cant believe I made that mistake, lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #240
TiniTott
Addicted to this place

Is someone else here to tell us which is right, so we could go to bed? LOL
Smile!