New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 03-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #31
carolyn d
COOL BEANS! (is that clear as mud?)

Photos: 287  Users Photo Gallery
Life After Nkotb

Well, after sleeping, cleaning, re-intorducing yourselves to your families, reducing the laudry piles...etc...

My best suggestion is to bite the bullet and take the DSU introductory class specific to your software. Each of you know WHAT you want to do but not necessarily HOW to do it !! Learning to use your software with ease is the GREATEST SELF CONFIDENCE BOOSTER !!!!

I can persoanlly tell you what a difference it makes..No more bruises from slamming my head on my desk.
The classes are well written, well presented, very complete. Each class has freebies to download and use in your class "homework". The classes are generally 1 month long. Each week is a new lesson. If life takes a front seat- NO PROBLEM. Just save the lesson and work on it at your own pace. Submit your "homework" into the class gallery for class cc's and teacher cc's..What could be easier ??!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #32
carolyn d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie&Ollie View Post
I haven;t yet decided if I am goin to take 190. 290 which starts today is similar to it nut at more advanced level. I know, I know, I am not that advanced but I really wanted to take it and didn't want to wait until August. Lauren said that it's OK to take it now.
Carolyn, I am surprised you are taking 190. You don't look to me like a beginner at all
Technically, I am decent... but I really do struggle with layout design !! If you could only see the "process" I go through !!! I spend hours, resizing, repositioning, re- everything !!! Eventually, I get something that falls i nto place, but WOW what a process.

If you notcied, most of my cc's were with regards to the actual TECHNIQUE of how to do something. I am definitely not good with the " tuck the do-hickey under the ribbon and tilt the photo to the left" type of thngs. I need a class to "see" the "rules" and then I can decide which ones I want to break !!HAHAHA...Yup that's me-DISOBEDIENT to the core.

Time for me right now is an issue. A friend is getting married in April, her bridal shower is tonight, and I am the "candids" photographer... so alot of my time is going to be involved in processing her photos and getting together the pages of her big events.

Ya know, maybe i can switch to the 290 class and use the photos from tonight in the class work... hmmmmmmmmmmmm... maybe they'll let me switch from the 190 to the 290....I'll have more time this month than next month!! YOU ARE A GENIUS...I'm gonna email the campus and see if they'll let me switch !! HAHAHA maybe you'll be stuck with me in a class. Poor you !!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #33
usports2
Addicted to this place

Photos: 134  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn d View Post
Although I may not have commented on every layout, I have read them all...and they are all amazing!!! I wonder if any realize just how fearless you all are to put the innermost parts of yourselves out for all to see?? And you are all beautiful. Those who look into their history and heritage, to those who look beyond the stars...those who sit with nature at her highest peaks or by her humblest brooks to find connections to your faith and to those loved and lost. Those who find their serentiy in a child's touch and in the love of generations..
As a group, you've given of yourselves so generously and with tremendous humor!! ( I seem to remember ice cream to for temper tantrums.. ) And rallied to come to the emotional aid of anyone upset.
To touch an emotional chord in the viewer is the essence of what we do.
Your layouts have touched me and each has brought tears to my eyes. I thank each and every one of you for inviting me into your lives and loves. And I would like to think that I have come away richer for the experience.
CONGRATUALTIONS GRADUATES.....
thanks so much for your kind words and your very helpful CC. people like you are what make this site such a great place to hang out!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #34
Leea
Addicted to this place

Photos: 5  Users Photo Gallery
Congratulations to all the alumni
Although I didn't graduate, I enjoyed reading the posts, getting to now more about other members, seeing the signatures, blinkies, and avators...I did notice what you were sitting on carolyn...but the fuzzy slippers always got my attention first
I'm looking forward to more Designer challenges (the great bonuses are fun!), the member run challenges (more great bonuses!) the layouts posted to them, and will consider the bootcamp later, not quite ready yet and there's lots of tutorials to go through.
There are so many things to do at DSP, I don't think I've found them all yet and looking forward to seeing ya'll here and there around the DSP forums
Leea
Leea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #35
maryjos
Addicted to this place

Photos: 189  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Technically, I am decent... but I really do struggle with layout design !! If you could only see the "process" I go through !!! I spend hours, resizing, repositioning, re- everything !!! Eventually, I get something that falls i nto place, but WOW what a process.
Oh Carolyn, you sound so much like me! I think most of my final pages look pretty good, but I get so frustrated with how LONG it takes me to get there! I want to be able to just throw a page together in an hour and be completely happy and satisfied with how it looks. I generally don't get more than one page done a week (last week was the exception, I think I did three whole pages, wow!) mainly because I spend several days on each one.

Taz, Dearly loved by Mary Jo, 4/28/95-5/25/08

Tribute Page
maryjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #36
Ellie&Ollie
The place to be

Photos: 119  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:

If you notcied, most of my cc's were with regards to the actual TECHNIQUE of how to do something. I am definitely not good with the " tuck the do-hickey under the ribbon and tilt the photo to the left" type of thngs. I need a class to "see" the "rules" and then I can decide which ones I want to break !!HAHAHA...Yup that's me-DISOBEDIENT to the core.

Time for me right now is an issue. A friend is getting married in April, her bridal shower is tonight, and I am the "candids" photographer... so alot of my time is going to be involved in processing her photos and getting together the pages of her big events.

Ya know, maybe i can switch to the 290 class and use the photos from tonight in the class work... hmmmmmmmmmmmm... maybe they'll let me switch from the 190 to the 290....I'll have more time this month than next month!! YOU ARE A GENIUS...I'm gonna email the campus and see if they'll let me switch !! HAHAHA maybe you'll be stuck with me in a class. Poor you !!
Lucky Me! I would love to share a calss with you.
I've already recieved the email regarding this class so hurry up. :clap:

Blessed are the children of scrapbookers, for they shall inherit the scrapbooks - Unknown
Ellie&Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #37
carolyn d

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjos View Post
Oh Carolyn, you sound so much like me! I think most of my final pages look pretty good, but I get so frustrated with how LONG it takes me to get there! I want to be able to just throw a page together in an hour and be completely happy and satisfied with how it looks. I generally don't get more than one page done a week (last week was the exception, I think I did three whole pages, wow!) mainly because I spend several days on each one.

There's something about doing these pages that brings out an inner-anal-compulsive-perfectionist which I didn't know I HAD!! Which is truly funny because I can ignore dust and clutter ( 3 kids- I'm well trained! LOL) until even I can't stand it. I'm generally pretty laid back about most things except work ( again, anally meticulous) and scrapping.
Maybe one reason is that the photos are not "perfect" but are loved and so I want them to be presented as fabulously as possible.
I consider myself the "queen of candids". Posed things never work out for me, but I'm decent at getting those crazy, happens -on the- fly - type of moments. Results ?? I tend to have "stuff" in the background, sometimes some blurry edges- you know the drill.
A professor I had in a photography class said I should be thankful for my abilities in Photoshop as he doubted I would ever learn to be responsible for everything in the frame...it was a running joke between us so there was no offense intended or taken.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #38
carolyn d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie&Ollie View Post
Lucky Me! I would love to share a calss with you.
I've already recieved the email regarding this class so hurry up. :clap:
I should be all set..just waiting for email to come in with my password etc. See you in class !!!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #39
Fade2Pink
Digital Elite Alumni

Photos: 781  Users Photo Gallery
I just completed DSU 130 - and loved it. I learned a lot more about PSP and feel more confident in my using my program. There were some items that I knew already, but for the most part, I learned to do things the "right" way, or the easier way.

I am trying DET, I know that my skills are no where near worthy, but what the heck. I have spent too much of my life sitting on the sidelines watching others, and thought I'd just put myself out there and give it a go.

A big thank you to maryjos and carolyn for their guidance to all of us through NKOTB. There have been many others to be sure, but these two gave their all over these weeks. You ladies are amazing! :clap:
Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #40
carolyn d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leea View Post
Congratulations to all the alumni
Although I didn't graduate, I enjoyed reading the posts, getting to now more about other members, seeing the signatures, blinkies, and avators...I did notice what you were sitting on carolyn...but the fuzzy slippers always got my attention first
I'm looking forward to more Designer challenges (the great bonuses are fun!), the member run challenges (more great bonuses!) the layouts posted to them, and will consider the bootcamp later, not quite ready yet and there's lots of tutorials to go through.
There are so many things to do at DSP, I don't think I've found them all yet and looking forward to seeing ya'll here and there around the DSP forums
Leea
In every way that you described, you HAVE graduated !!!!! Think of what you've learned !!! of what you now know that you didn't before !! That's EXACTLY what this challenge is all about !! it's not ABOUT making the top ten !! It's just what you've described... the excitement of learning, trying new things, falling and getting up again, knowing that YOU CAN DO IT !! Congratualtions, Graduate !!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #41
nkeevers
I live at this place!

Photos: 170  Users Photo Gallery
Carolyn, you brought a tear to my eye! That is so touching of you to say those things! You have inspired many of us here at NKOTB! I think we all learned so much and I for one am so glad that I participated!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #42
carolyn d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Pink View Post
I just completed DSU 130 - and loved it. I learned a lot more about PSP and feel more confident in my using my program. There were some items that I knew already, but for the most part, I learned to do things the "right" way, or the easier way.

I am trying DET, I know that my skills are no where near worthy, but what the heck. I have spent too much of my life sitting on the sidelines watching others, and thought I'd just put myself out there and give it a go.

A big thank you to maryjos and carolyn for their guidance to all of us through NKOTB. There have been many others to be sure, but these two gave their all over these weeks. You ladies are amazing! :clap:
You are really going to surprise yourself !!! Quite a few NKOTB'ers have gone directly from here to the DET and did really well. You will never know how far you can push the boundries and beyond unless you try !! Even if you only make it through the first round, you will be amazed at how you've stretched what you can do !!! YOU GO, GIRL.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #43
carolyn d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkeevers View Post
Carolyn, you brought a tear to my eye! That is so touching of you to say those things! You have inspired many of us here at NKOTB! I think we all learned so much and I for one am so glad that I participated!
I'm glad you had a good time!! Now that you're an alumni, you can "pay it forward" by keeping a eye out for the next round !!! Personally, I have a blast doing it, so i look forward to the challenge.
Hey, did anyone inform you that all alumni are heading to your house for the second scrapaholics annonymous lap top crop ? LOL. You house looks big enough to accomodate a few !!! (chuckle, snicker !)
Old 03-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #44
maryjos
Addicted to this place

Photos: 189  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
There's something about doing these pages that brings out an inner-anal-compulsive-perfectionist which I didn't know I HAD!! Which is truly funny because I can ignore dust and clutter ( 3 kids- I'm well trained! LOL) until even I can't stand it. I'm generally pretty laid back about most things except work ( again, anally meticulous) and scrapping.
Maybe one reason is that the photos are not "perfect" but are loved and so I want them to be presented as fabulously as possible.
I consider myself the "queen of candids". Posed things never work out for me, but I'm decent at getting those crazy, happens -on the- fly - type of moments. Results ?? I tend to have "stuff" in the background, sometimes some blurry edges- you know the drill.
A professor I had in a photography class said I should be thankful for my abilities in Photoshop as he doubted I would ever learn to be responsible for everything in the frame...it was a running joke between us so there was no offense intended or taken.
Okay, we must be long-lost sisters or something. I am the same way with a messy house...I have two dogs and a cat and I gave up long ago being able to stay on top of the dust and hair and toys lying all over (at least you can eventually teach kids to put their toys away, my dogs it seem take pleasure in pulling out every toy they have 5 minutes after I put them away! )

I'm with you on the candid stuff as well, I really don't like asking people to pose and just fire away to catch them in the moment. I'm pretty good at it too I think, and definitely am skilled enough in Photoshop to fix most mistakes. I have the same issue with outdoor photos, I just want to go out and take shots and not worry about lighting or weather, etc. I actually posted a before-and-after of one of those to my Photo Challenges gallery, one of my more extreme editing challenges that turned out pretty good. I am doing a lot of photography classes online right now though, so I don't have to do so much work fixing my photos!

Taz, Dearly loved by Mary Jo, 4/28/95-5/25/08

Tribute Page
maryjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #45
nkeevers
I live at this place!

Photos: 170  Users Photo Gallery
Carolyn, you are too funny! What the heck...I have 3 extra bedrooms!
Smile!