New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
Elisabeth
Team Digital Senior Designer

Photos: 3,329  Users Photo Gallery
Let's Chat it Up and Explanation of "Z"

So loads of you call me Z - and every once in a while someone asks me where that came from.

My name is Elizabeth - with a Z. I signed on to DSP as Elisabeth - with an S. When another designer found out the real spelling of my name, she dubbed me "Z". (Stacey Stahl was the designer). It stuck so here you have me.

The first time someone called me that at a crop, out loud, I didn't even hear her! She had to say it several times. I only knew it as written. People generally call me Elizabeth.

And now a lot of you have boggled me with "Zed'. In the US we say "Zee" so that took some getting used to. However, I"m a total Anglophile so now I like that one too! I might cotton to either one in person now.

So that's that and now we can chat about anything we like in this thread!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
PQ
Digital Elite Team
Team Digital Gallery Mod

Photos: 3,680  Users Photo Gallery
For my first two years here (DSP), I thought that Z and Elizabeth were two different people - it was VERY confusing. LOL!

PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Elisabeth

So here's one reason I started this thread - I just had one of those fake smell experiences and was curious what you all smell when you do.

Earlier tonight I sat here at the computer with no change of scene or situation and suddenly my brain took me to a car with a strong air freshener in it. It was very sweet - one of the fruity ones and I remember them from the 1980s. Almost made me recoil it was so strong, but it lasted only a second.

Then just a bit ago I was transported in time to a smoky club with the acidy smell of cigarettes floating about that you waft your way through to get close to the stage to watch the band. In fact, very close, because one deep behind is the mosh pit and I didn't participate in that.

Hang on - you all don't think I'm a lunatic do you? Doesn't your brain misfire and give you quick memories like this that are so clear you can smell them?

I mean I'll accept a label of lunatic no problem but I like it if so. Sometimes my brain will remember how my grandparents' house smells, and they've been gone many years. I love those flashes.

What have you to add to this? Ridicule? Or similar experience?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Elisabeth

Well to add to the confusion Fran - Elizabeth and Liz WERE two different people! Me, and Liz McCoy. I've never gone by Liz but she sometimes goes by Elizabeth. So I sometimes got her emails and vice versa.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
stitchmich
DET Alumni

Photos: 494  Users Photo Gallery
I've heard the Z story before, but it still confuses me sometimes. For instance, did you know that in your siggie/flair, you've got your name spelled both ways? I guess that's why I prefer to just call you Z... I don't have to decide which way to spell the whole name.

Very interesting about the mystery smells. I can't say I've ever had that experience. But I wouldn't say it makes you a lunatic either. I do sometimes smell a smell that brings back a particular memory.

And speaking of smells... Don't you love the smell of rain on a summer day. We had a brief shower yesterday afternoon and I just went outside and breathed it in. aaaahhhhh
Old 09-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
EmmaJean
Addicted to this place

Photos: 212  Users Photo Gallery
So, Z, if I might ask, why did you originally sign up for DSP as Elisabeth instead of Elizabeth?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
diturpin
March '11 Spotlight Member, DET 8, 9 & 13 Alumni

Photos: 497  Users Photo Gallery
Z, count me in your lunatic club, I have those same smell sensations but they are usually cued by a visual. Like I will see a layout that brings back a memory and the scent will waft over me. I also have those sensations when I read books sometimes... especially if they have to do with farming (I grew up on a farm).

I always think of you as Z and since the KY crop, I always think of you in your Azkaban Prison shirt. LOL!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
Noremacc
Digital Elite Alumni

Photos: 512  Users Photo Gallery
I like "Z", Elizabeth just sounds so formal... which at times is fine, but just hanging out like at a crop or chat, Z just seems more fun...
Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
TalyQ
Digital Elite Team 10, 11, & 14 and Member Spotlight April '11

Photos: 681  Users Photo Gallery
Oh, I didn't know that
My own daughter is Elizabet because that's how it's fonetically spelled in our language
TalyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
nekobus
June '10 Member Spotlight, Moderator and The Neak shall inherit the Earth

Photos: 1,014  Users Photo Gallery
Olfactory memories (smell) are the strongest kind. I constantly have "smellbacks". Lol. But it is already documented fact that I'm a lunatic.

You know it sounded good while it was still inside myself head.
nekobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
diturpin
March '11 Spotlight Member, DET 8, 9 & 13 Alumni

Photos: 497  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekobus View Post
Olfactory memories (smell) are the strongest kind. I constantly have "smellbacks". Lol. But it is already documented fact that I'm a lunatic.
Thanks for the vocab lesson Neek! I have heard that word but didn't know what it meant until now.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
Shana34
I live at this place!

Photos: 417  Users Photo Gallery
I have that smell situation all the time. I can smell my grandmother's gas stove, or my other grandmother's house used to always smell like bubble gum...she used to keep it in a drawer for us.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Cheryl B.
I live at this place!

Photos: 273  Users Photo Gallery
The oddest fake smell for me is smoke. For years, I have smelled a faint smoke odor. After calling the fire department once, and then accusing my kids of smoking (they weren't and were insulted), I figured out it was just a quirk of my nose. No memory attached to it that I know of. Just an oddity. My problem is that if it were ever real, I wouldn't believe it. So I have 15 smoke alarms in my house just in case.

I love you having this thread, Z! Always fun to chat!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
stitchmich
DET Alumni

Photos: 494  Users Photo Gallery
OMG, Cheryl! That sounds dangerous.

I'm a little jealous of all you smellbackers. Do you think that's a similar phenomenon to the mysterious voices I hear?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
nekobus
June '10 Member Spotlight, Moderator and The Neak shall inherit the Earth

Photos: 1,014  Users Photo Gallery
I don't think there's any connection. You're just nuts!

My dd makes fun of my overly-developed sense if smell. I think she's just nasally defective. When my kids were little I almost always knew they were sick before they did - they smelled wrong. My mom was the same way.

You know it sounded good while it was still inside myself head.
nekobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Smile!