New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
stitchmich
DET Alumni

Photos: 494  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekobus View Post
I don't think there's any connection. You're just nuts!
Dang. I was afraid of that
Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
Penny M
DET Alumni

Photos: 1,506  Users Photo Gallery
The only "fake" smell for me is a burning smell. We lived in a trailer when I was growing up. When I was five our trailer caught on fire in the wiring in my bedroom (we all were asleep). I have always remembered that smell even if I can't remember much else. Occasionally I will smell "that smell" and know its the same as when our trailer burned.

Penny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
kristievcat
November '11 Spotlight Member

Photos: 258  Users Photo Gallery
I've never had "fake" smells, as far as I know. But sometimes I'll get a scent (real or fake, not sure!) and it will take me to a special place. I just love that.

And Z, I have to say I had an instant connection to you when I first saw others calling you Z. My DH's last name is Zemlicka (doesn't roll off the tongue for a lot of folks) and EVERY ONE in Juneau knows his dad as Big Z and him as Little Z and now my DS is Baby Z.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
Noremacc
Digital Elite Alumni

Photos: 512  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristievcat View Post
I've never had "fake" smells, as far as I know. But sometimes I'll get a scent (real or fake, not sure!) and it will take me to a special place. I just love that.
That is more the way it is with me. I catch a whiff of something, and the memories come flooding in...

My my dh... he is another story... you know how most small children have a pillow, blanket, doll, something for comfort and security. Well my youngest has a blanket. But he doesn't use it or even carry it. He just likes to smell it. And usually it is a fight to wash his banket, cause then it doesn't smell as good (according to him).
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #20
terilew
Been around this place

Photos: 6  Users Photo Gallery
I was the same way with the boys when I can smell. I'm always having sinus infections so I haven't been able to smell all the time for the past 20 years or more...but when I can smell I could tell if the kids were coming down with something before they did too.. I wonder if it will be the same way with the grand baby now... but I haven't noticed it yet and she's almost 2 years old.
Terri

Quote:
I don't think there's any connection. You're just nuts!

My dd makes fun of my overly-developed sense if smell. I think she's just nasally defective. When my kids were little I almost always knew they were sick before they did - they smelled wrong. My mom was the same way.
terilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #21
ReneT
DET 11 and 12 Alumni & December '09 Member Spotlight

Photos: 991  Users Photo Gallery
I've never had any fake smells, but smells will take me back to a certain time and place too. I can open up the photo albums I inherited after my parents passed and they smell just like the house I grew up in. I can smell certain lip gloss smells and be transported right back to junior high school.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #22
sandygb
DET Alumni

Photos: 2,575  Users Photo Gallery
I like any name that is short enough for me to type without many typos. LOL.

As for your smell/memory associations, it sounds like you are having the memory and then recalling the smell. For me, it's the smell that triggers the memory. Here is one I just had yesterday. It's gonna sound "out there":

When I was a baby my parents (or some other relative) invested in a HUGE baby carriage. I mean, this thing was almost the size of a VW. It was used for me, then my brother and finally for my sister. I dont remember my own experiences in the carriage, but I was 10 years old when my sister was born. The leather (or maybe it was another material?) had a very distinctive smell. There was something about it that I loved. So yesterday I smelled something (what it was totally escapes me) but I had the instant recall of that old baby carriage, and memories of taking my baby sister (my surrogate doll) for a walk in the carriage.

Smelling an old fragrance, such as English Leather, or Evening in Paris (remember those dark blue bottles) or Shalimar, and I am instantly back in grade school or my teens.

sandygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #23
Elisabeth
Team Digital Senior Designer

Photos: 3,328  Users Photo Gallery
Neko - wow, I think that's pretty extraordinary - knowing before they got sick!

Penny that must have been soooo scary as a five year old! I hope you saved your special huggie toy.

If I smell something like my grandmother's house or whatever that will always bring a memory back but I have never had a memory and then smelled the smell, Sandy. That's interesting to think about, almost like you could sense something you wanted to.

EmmaJean - I just like the spelling with an S. So that's probably the main reason I signed up that way. But legally it's a Z - so that's why I'm in the store with a Z.

Caro made that flair for me that says Elizabeth's Extras. I don't care how you all spell it, really! I like it either way. I have lots of Elizabeths in my family tree but I'm not named for any of them.

Z/Zed has been a fun nickname and I have to say definitely the shortest one I've ever had!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #24
sandygb
DET Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth View Post
If I smell something like my grandmother's house or whatever that will always bring a memory back but I have never had a memory and then smelled the smell, Sandy. That's interesting to think about, almost like you could sense something you wanted to.
I must have misunderstood. I thought you got the memory first followed by the smell. I thought that was strange. So now I see, you get the smell first which triggers the memory. Me too.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #25
stitchmich
DET Alumni

Photos: 494  Users Photo Gallery
well here's my question... are you saying the smell is not really "there"? I get picking up an actual scented lipgloss and actually smelling it and having an associated memory. But I thought you were saying you got a whiff of something that wasn't really there.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #26
sandygb
DET Alumni

Stitch - In my case, the smells are there and are real.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #27
Elisabeth
Team Digital Senior Designer

Photos: 3,328  Users Photo Gallery
Well - both things happen to me. If I smell something that reminds me of something else, I remember why.

But what I was talking about in the first post was my brain misfiring. I didn't really smell anything - my brain just sent me the signal that I was. I was scrapping along and certainly not thinking about car air fresheners or smoky clubs! (although they certainly should go together, lol, they were at different times, about an hour or two apart).

It probably works the same way as when somehing crosses your mind and then you say, "I don't know why I just thought of that." Only it's a smell that is the sensation. It doesn't happen very often,in fact rarely, so twice in one night was odd which was why I wanted to note it.

I'm good to to back to the "lunatic" reasoning...now where did I put my membership card?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
ReneT

Kinda like "smell de ja vue".
Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #29
nekobus
June '10 Member Spotlight, Moderator and The Neak shall inherit the Earth

Photos: 1,014  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneT View Post
Kinda like "smell de ja vue".
Its called deja pew

You know it sounded good while it was still inside myself head.
nekobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #30
ReneT

Quote:
Its called deja pew