New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 09-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #46
Elisabeth
Team Digital Senior Designer

Photos: 3,329  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by addielee View Post
I think it's because my middle name is Robin. But I don't really know. Now my niece and nephews call my Auntie Bob; it's far better than Auntie Addie.
Oh no now you definitely have to ask them WHY. Inquiring minds, or enquiring minds, want to know! Please report back in this thread.

Kristie, it didn't occur to me that 'kristie' was short for anything! If spelled with a C I would think that though, but since I read it instead of hearing it, it didn't cross my mind. Not sure what the difference is!

I call my daughter "Critter" most of the time. She doesn't seem to mind. When Suzi did her font, we named it DSP Critter.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #47
ReneT
DET 11 and 12 Alumni & December '09 Member Spotlight

Photos: 991  Users Photo Gallery
My given name is Connie Rene, but I've always been Rene.

Z, will Critter be at the Texas GTG this year?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #48
sandygb
DET Alumni

Photos: 2,577  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristievcat View Post
Well, my given name is Kristie, but I always get asked if it's short for Christine or Christina. That always surpises me because I think that if I was going to go the effort of shortening my name at all, I'd go for the gusto and just be Kris.

But beyond that, when I bring friends home from other areas they are always surprised that I'm called Christopher or Queen in my hometown. Oddly enough, it's my nickname Queen that I have nicknames for such as Queenie or Queen-o or Queenus or Queenbee. I am almost never called by my given name. I used to hate it, but now I embrace all of my pet names.
My SIL Steve's sister is also Kristie, but her name is short for Kristina. Steve and his Dad have always called her Tina, and her mom called her Kristina. She prefers to be called Kristie though, and that is how she introduces herself. It's also what Carrie calls her.

sandygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #49
kristievcat
November '11 Spotlight Member

Photos: 258  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygb View Post
My SIL Steve's sister is also Kristie, but her name is short for Kristina. Steve and his Dad have always called her Tina, and her mom called her Kristina. She prefers to be called Kristie though, and that is how she introduces herself. It's also what Carrie calls her.
Ah! So it does exist! I've never come across some one who calls herself Kristie, whose name is actually Kristina. And it's very rare to see it spelled with a K and an ie. Very cool!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #50
rbthl
Love this place

Photos: 59  Users Photo Gallery
I have frequent smellbacks - at least that's what I prefer to think instead of feeling like I'm going nuts. We moved into a new house built on land close to a streambed in northeast Kansas. Soon after moving in, I started "smelling" wood fire, typically late in the evening (we have a gas fireplace so no wood there). After several panic attacks thinking the house was going up in smoke, I've finally "accepted" the fact that it's a smellback from the native Americans who once lived where we do now. Call me crazy, but there's no memory that connects to woodsmoke.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #51
Elisabeth

That's awesome, rbthl! (what do we call you by the way - can I buy a vowel?)

Sandy, you seem to have a new "do". Um, how are you liking it?

Rene, I hadn't planned that far ahead. I know I'm slated to pick up Tracy at the airport and give her and Karen a ride, and so far there is still room in the car for Critter, but I need to go check the date again and actually put it on my calendar!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #52
Elisabeth

Sheesh, just had another smellback! It was very weak. Now, I'm working on a layout of a seafood restaurant so this was no triggered memory, at least not with that! I remembered the smell in the cosmetics department of the drugsore I used to work in when I was a teenager. Hadn't thought about that in a long time!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #53
Mars
DSP TEAM - DET Alumni

Photos: 3,814  Users Photo Gallery
zed are you sure you don't have some underlying medical condition? I googled imaginary smells and it's called "Phantosmia" – Perception of smell without an odor present.

Phantosmia is an olfactory hallucination: a person senses smells that aren't really there. These imaginary smells can range from unpleasant to enjoyable. Phantosmia can develop into olfactory delusions, which is when a person is constantly affected by these sensory hallucinations. A few diseases and afflictions can cause phantosmia.

I also found this: "Auditory hallucinations are a sign of Schizophrenia." Maybe you should consult with an psychiatrist.

Ack!
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #54
rbthl
Love this place

Mars - I think you've diagnosed my problem - olfactory delusions! Guess I can stop looking for arrowheads in my family room.

Z - yes you can buy a vowel - but there's only 3 available. lol
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #55
Elisabeth

Wow, I didn't think to google, Mars! Thing is, it's not common for me at all - and I was really tired those nights I noticed it. Those three times were probably the first in years. But yeah, I'll keep a record and if they weren't isolated incidences I'll ask my doc. I've just had labs and all done recently for a physical so I think I'm okay for now.

rbthl - let's start with 'a'.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #56
Elisabeth

Wow - Mars, I just took your word to wiki and found this:

"Phantosmia can also be attributed to overactive olfactory receptor neurons (ORNs) or the loss of inhibitory neurons brought on by a sinus infection or some other type of head cold. These overactive ORNs could be activated by some other input through a fluke in wiring where they would normally remain inactive or inhibited, so a signal is sent to the olfactory bulb when no stimulus is present. The inhibitory neurons are also a part of the pathway just described. If extraneous information that is normally stopped at these impasses is allowed to continue along the pathway, the brain will interpret a signal that has no intrinsic value. This will provide a sensation without a proper stimulus."

Dang, and I was sort of partial to "lunatic". Turns out it's my rotten sinuses!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #57
sandygb
DET Alumni

Photos: 2,577  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth View Post
rbthl - let's start with 'a'.
Well - I pronounce it "Rapunzel" in my head. LOL

sandygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #58
rbthl
Love this place

Interesting info about the inhibitory neurons. About five years ago, I had a sever sinus and throat infection (brought on by dental work). I completely lost my sense of smell for over a year. Even now there are certain things I can't smell, which makes eating anything an experience. So maybe I'm not dilusional after all.

Sandy - I did have very long hair when I was younger - I like the idea of Rapunzel, but it's a place not a name.

Z - Vanna has turned the letters with your first vowel - rabthl.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #59
stitchmich
DET Alumni

Photos: 494  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth View Post
Dang, and I was sort of partial to "lunatic". Turns out it's my rotten sinuses!
It's okay, Z. I'll still think of you as a lunatic
Old 09-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #60
Penny M
DET Alumni

Photos: 1,506  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygb View Post
Well - I pronounce it "Rapunzel" in my head. LOL
LOL, Sandy! I just omitted the letters I didn't want and added some. I always think "Ruthel". There was a elementary school teacher here with that name so I picked a "u" and "e".

Penny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Smile!