New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 10-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Elisabeth
Team Digital Senior Designer

Photos: 3,329  Users Photo Gallery
DeZign With Z - 9! New - need your help!

Addielee is my dedicated DET member for November and I asked her (early) for inspiration. She sent me some playground photos. Here are two of them (aren't her kids adorable!?)

So I want to design a playground kit with the modular primary colored pieces and some other things. Here's where I need your help! You suggest a background or element, I choose from your suggestions, and we see this kit come together!

I'll randomly draw three names from the participants at the end of the challenge to win the kit. The more times you suggest, however, the more times you are entered into the draw!

Look at Addie's cutie pies at the playground and consider your own playground photos you need to scrap - then make suggestions for backgrounds first, then elements! I'll post the kit as I go along. Thanks! We'll jam this together! Oh - I had in mind keeping the backgrounds sort of neutral, so the primary colored elements and your photos can pop - but if you have a mental picture that's otherwise please suggest it anyway and we'll go from there!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
teetopper
DET Alumni

Photos: 766  Users Photo Gallery
Z, this is fantastic! Love Addie's photos, and I am so excited to see this develop

Love to see a background with sand, maybe even the whole bg of the second photo, i.e. sand, grass, sky
A green or yellow textured (sort of like the leaves)
A red or blue with circles
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
janetklm
Digital Elite Alumni

Photos: 1,097  Users Photo Gallery
Just what I need, Z!!!
You're absolutely right about Addie's cuties. They're adorable!!

As for the bg's: I really would like to see a simple bg in blue (for boys), but also in the red or yellow color which would make it a more versatile (boy and girl) kit. Not to much texture so we can use it to write or journal on it.
Maybe also a cardboard kind of bg using the "sand" colors.

I guess there are a lot of elements that would be great for a kit like this.
Bucket and shovel, ball, sand form/shape (not sure how you name it in English, but I guess you know what I mean) etc.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
bludlfn003
Addicted to this place

Photos: 237  Users Photo Gallery
-grunged up enim in the blue
-maybe the tan from the sand with yellow and red stripes varying in widths (just not to to wide)
-
Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Lora
DSP Senior Designer and Shameless Plugger

Photos: 316  Users Photo Gallery
How about a slightly unsaturated BG starting like sky at the top, then fading into those pretty trees in the background and then some grass and then fade into sand. It would be kind of like a gradient of sky, trees, grass and sand. OK...did that make sense? Would love to see this with a watercolor paper texture, like a 300 lb cold press Arches watercolor paper.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
kathleennscraps
Yay I can choose my name!

Photos: 1,826  Users Photo Gallery
BG paper black grated steel(like the stairs)
BG paper sandy textured
BG ecru coloured rope like texture
Old 10-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
SherryLynnD
New to this place

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Addie's photos are so cute!

For Background Papers how about:
A paper with grass on the bottom --- maybe 1/4 of the way up the paper and then sky for the remaining 3/4 with clouds.
A light blue with darker blue stripes like in the first photo and maybe some thin white and yellow stripes too.
A sunburst yellow.

Some wordart suggestions: On the swings, At the playground & I love to climb!

Elements: Swings, trees, a slide, kites, clouds and a sun.
SherryLynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
kristievcat
November '11 Spotlight Member

Photos: 258  Users Photo Gallery
If you do a sand background, maybe you could add a few little sandal prints in it.
And this is may be an odd idea, but I think it might work for a child's page: a background similar to the sleeve on the jumper in the bottom photo, mostly one color with a few stripes at the bottom.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
ScrappyAddie
DET Alumni
Member Spotlight June '11

Photos: 1,542  Users Photo Gallery
I'm so glad you all like my photos! Hard to believe the bottom one of Jeremiah is from over a year ago!! The other is Sebastian from this summer. I think I have HUNDREDS of playground pics so I will use this at ton!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
honeymoon
DET Alumni

Photos: 948  Users Photo Gallery
Red and blue striped paper

Pieced Paper Sand castle, slide, swings

Maybe once you have done this kit you'd be able to make a companion kit around riding bikes and training wheels etc.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
ScrappyAddie
DET Alumni
Member Spotlight June '11

Photos: 1,542  Users Photo Gallery
Oh, great idea Fiona!! Sebastian will be getting a bike with training wheels in the spring. (There's no point now with winter on its way!)

Zed, I think we need a playground steering wheel!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
Elisabeth

Okay, GREAT suggestions so far! I am going to get started now! Sorry I didn't get back here earlier today but we played with the tiny new kitties for most of the day trying to socialize them. For those who don't know, the same feral cat mom whose last kittens we are raising hid a new batch under the porch steps and we've been a week trying to catch the three kittens after we trapped the mom! She will get spayed before we release her. These kittens are about 5 weeks old. They didn't like us at first, as you might imagine, but now the little boy (we've had him the longest) plays with toys with us! The little girls not so much but we only caught the third/last kitten last night so today was her first day with us and the other girl is only a day ahead of her. So they're still on the learning curve that all their basic needs are met and then they can turn their attention to playing. All they've known to this point is hiding and eating (and starving after we trapped their mum). But we're bottle feeding them kitten milk and they eat kitten food too. Mom was NOT very maternal. She let them nurse but that's it - no tenderness or other care. We didn't even give her back this third one at all and it's being quicker to get used to us. They will be just fine! I'll update my old kitty thread with new pictures soon.

But AFTER I get started on this fun kit - thanks for the suggestions so far!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 AM   #13
Mars
DSP TEAM - DET Alumni

Photos: 3,814  Users Photo Gallery
white with thin windowpane check in all the primary colours

Ack!
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #14
Elisabeth

Three backgrounds done - almost everyone wanted some sand so I did the sandbox one. I sort of thought a full spread of sand would look too much like the beach. Then the one that's just grass and sky and clouds. The other is the neutral grey-green like the metal steps on the playground equipment in Addie's photo.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #15
Mars
DSP TEAM - DET Alumni

Photos: 3,814  Users Photo Gallery
oh I like the direction this is going. awesome backgrounds

Ack!
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Smile!