New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Tina
Team Alumni, DSP Book Marm, Dumbledores Army

Photos: 1,512  Users Photo Gallery
DSPReaders Chat Thread

Since our numbers have dwindled significantly, it was suggested that I just start a thread to chat about what we've been reading.

So, pop in here and let us know what you've been up to!

Hopefully this will be a very active thread, and perhaps we can start book club up again soon.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Tina

My goal this year is to read 30 books, and I hope I surpass that by several.

I've thought about upping it, but I haven't so far.

I'm going to make a running list of the books I've read- which I'll keep posting through the year.

Books I've read already:

In the YA Genre:

Divergent- by Veronica Roth- I give this 4 stars

Paper Towns- by John Green- I give this 3 stars

Let it Snow- 3 short stories by John Green, Maureen Johnson, & Lauren Myracle - I give this 3 stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- I give this 4.5 stars
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Adult Genre:

A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin (currently reading this)
Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Lauren
Team Alumni

Photos: 3,835  Users Photo Gallery
Ive read two books ive rated 5 stars in the last month - both probably more in the chick lit category but Id hate to categorise either of them as just chick lit ( does that make sense??)
I will say both of these books have a very british sort of basis so if you dont "get" the brits that well you probably wont like them as much as I did
The first one was Me before You by JoJo Moyes.
This is about a girl who comes from a small town and has a pretty "small life" if you get my drift who takes a job as a companion for a 35 year old former high flyer who is now a quadraplegic . Its a love story but absolutely NOT in the traditional sense and Im saying nothing else because it would reveal too much..

The second one was a delightful book - first novel by a NZ author Catherine Robertson - its called The Sweet Second Life of Darrell Kincaid - I just LOVED this book - but then i really "Got" the characters having a strong connection to the UK and the interesting types that live there....
If you like Marian Keyes then you surely will love this book

Oh and the second book does have some s*x scenes that could be seen as pretty explicit - Id call it more basic - in that she is quite blunt in her writing style rather than romanticising ...

Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Lauren
Team Alumni

Apart from those two this is what ive read so far this year
Devil Colony - really liked that one

Forbidden falls - Robyn Carr - and Angel Peak same series
( this series is true chick lit trash but fun for a light read )
Relic and Reliquary by Child and Preston - kind of archaelogical thrillers but not as good as Rollins imho ( totally unbelievable plots)

I just dont know quite WHAT to read next - - Im thinking about Child 44 whcih i got free for the kindle but not sure im in the mood for it

Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
guitargirl
I live at this place!

Photos: 396  Users Photo Gallery
I just finished the Deverry cycle from Katharine Kerr, and I think I'm going to read it again, because I am confused! Basically, it's a fantasy story where people are reborn, and the story jumps from life to life. I think I need a list of who is who in the different lives!

I am starting the Simarillion by Tolkien. It's a bit dry so far, but the background story of middle earth is interesting.

Other than that, I've been reading a lot about teaching science for understanding, and working with students with problem behaviors. (2 graduate classes I am taking)
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
bendipez
Guess Wot?? I'm Pez-sky!!! April '10 Member Spotlight

Photos: 416  Users Photo Gallery
Am also reading Me before You by Jojo Moyes!!! While the subject matter is depressing( and hits very close to home)it is not a depressing book!!! Sat down to just skim through a few pages, next thing I knew I was immersed in the book!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Abby
DSP Moderator

Photos: 433  Users Photo Gallery
I read the Dragon Tattoo books and loved them .. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, and The Girl WHo Played With Fire. ..not in that order .. the Hornet's nest was last. Very explicit scenes and lots of violence, but I really enjoyed them.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
webfrau
Team Digital

Photos: 1,429  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post

A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin (currently reading this) [/b]
I really enjoyed that book, it was good to have something to get my teeth into. Need to read the rest but so little time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargirl View Post
I just finished the Deverry cycle from Katharine Kerr,
I like Katherine Kerr as an author but she has so many books I've never sat down and figured out where to start so I've read odd ones.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Tara
Team Digital and always OrangeSue!

Photos: 760  Users Photo Gallery
I recently finished Game of Thrones and enjoyed it. Wouldn't give it 5 stars, but it was worth the read.

I also just finished Divergent. I quite enjoyed that one.

Tonight I shall begin Grisham's The Litigators...yeah, I'm a little behind on that one!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
webfrau
Team Digital

Photos: 1,429  Users Photo Gallery
My goal for this year was to read 50 books (last year I read 70) but I think it might be a bit of a tall order (wishful thinking?) as I'm going to be studying.

So far I've read 4

1. Theft of Swords by Michael J Sullivan - 4 stars - good fantasy stuff

2. Legend by Maire Lu - 4 stars - very quick read about a dystopic society

3. The Death Cure by James Dashner - 4 stars - the final in a dystopic trilogy about people who are part of an experiment

4. The Farseekers by Isobelle Carmody - 5 stars - a re-read of the 2nd book of The Obernewtyn Chronicles - loved it just as much the 2nd time as the first. A story about "mutants" in a post-apocalyptic world.

Currently reading Runelight by Joanne Harris (sequel to Runescape) - more fantasy - it's alright but not compelling reading.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
Lauren
Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendipez View Post
Am also reading Me before You by Jojo Moyes!!! While the subject matter is depressing( and hits very close to home)it is not a depressing book!!! Sat down to just skim through a few pages, next thing I knew I was immersed in the book!!!!
No it has some quite amusing parts in it doesnt it... but i wont say more ... I dont want to spoil it for you

Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
Lauren
Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
I recently finished Game of Thrones and enjoyed it. Wouldn't give it 5 stars, but it was worth the read.

I also just finished Divergent. I quite enjoyed that one.

Tonight I shall begin Grisham's The Litigators...yeah, I'm a little behind on that one!
I read the Litigators last year - its not his best book but it was enjoyable

Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Ande
I live at this place!

Photos: 445  Users Photo Gallery
I have just finished Eve's Daughters by Lynn Austin...Loved it. It goes back and forth between 3 Generations in a family. I really like this Author.

Loved Anne of Green Gables and am starting Anne of Avonlea...I found all of the series really cheaply for my Nook.

This thread is a great idea....I have already found several to put on my wish list.
The Devil Colony sounds interesting Lauren.

Gideons Gift was a really good book...a short one but loved it...by Karen Kingsly
Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Tina

Glad to see you all posting Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
mariafer
DET Alumni

Photos: 1,157  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ande View Post
I have just finished Eve's Daughters by Lynn Austin...Loved it. It goes back and forth between 3 Generations in a family. I really like this Author.

Loved Anne of Green Gables and am starting Anne of Avonlea...I found all of the series really cheaply for my Nook.

This thread is a great idea....I have already found several to put on my wish list.
The Devil Colony sounds interesting Lauren.

Gideons Gift was a really good book...a short one but loved it...by Karen Kingsly
I just recently read Anne of Green Gables with my daughter. That story never grows old. I love it. Should go find Anne of Avonlea for us.